Friday, May 22, 2009

Dream the Drink, Drink the Dream

Oh, the pomp and circumstance of it all! Last night was graduation night, and in usual form, our handsome, eloquent president was doing his presidential thing at the graduation ceremonies. You know, the speech. We, as faculty, were promised a shorter, succinct series of speeches by the "Dream Team" (chancellor, president, etc., etc.), so I happily settled into my seat, all decked out in my regalia (it's actually kind of fun prancing around in cap and gown, complete with colorful hood, wondering if anyone is naked under their gown).

For the third year in a row, I was not disappointed with the performance of our President. I was afraid, with all the budget difficulties, and grumblings about layoffs, cut-backs, and such, that the pre-graduation festivities would be squashed. Rumor has it that the "Dream Team" has a small, exclusive reception prior to the graduation ceremonies, and alcohol is involved. Yep, the wine apparently flows like water. Remember, this is just a rumor, but I must say, after attending graduations for the past three years, I suspect the rumor is true. Here's why I believe it is so.

Our beloved, and remember, normally quite eloquent President, during one of his speeches, said things like "A little Michelle, a little Barack, a little love", obviously referring to our new President and First Lady, almost under his breath, after quoting something MISTER President had said recently.

At one point, in acknowledging the oldest graduate (71 years young, looked like 50), whose matriarchal family was dressed in purple and wore red hats (clearly part of the Red Hat Society), and has a very strong presence in our district, our President jokingly threatened to wear a red hat to next year's ceremony, and then we could all see who was really the "Queen Bee"! (It's kind of an inside joke; you have to know him to really get this one...the operative word here is queen.)

The best, though, was when our President stated that we need to "Dream the Drink" or "Drink the Dream". I was laughing so hard, I'm not really sure which he said, and HE clearly was dreaming about the drink, or maybe he was DRINKING the dream. I imagine he meant to say "dream the dream", but, boy, oh boy, it didn't come out that way.

The evening was filled with little quips like this. Not only do I love attending graduation for the relieved, smiling faces of the graduates, for the thank you hugs from the students, for the celebration of all things realized and accomplished, I secretly go because I just know I am in for a real treat: the humorous, endearing, unintended verbal slips of our slightly tipsy President, who, for just one evening in the entire year, is just that: tipsy. (Don't you just love that word, tipsy?)

Congratulations, graduates. Job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails