Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Family


I spoke to my oldest daughter last night on Skype. Here she is with her husband, Krus. His full name is Krusnedi Sukarwanto, but he is simply called Krus (pronounced like caboose, not cruise, but roll the "r"). So, now I have a son-in-law. He calls me "Mama Leslie", because in Indonesia, it's not polite to call an elder (oh my god, I am an ELDER. How and when did that happen?) by just their first name. There needs to be some sort of title first. So, Mama Leslie it is. Chosen by Krus. At least for the time being. Eventually it will become nenek.

Maeg's Indonesian is so lovely! She is so fluent, in such a short time. Which is very fortunate, because Krus does not speak much English. Maeg is teaching him English, and he now says "hello Mama Leslie, how are you?" and "Goodbye Mama Leslie". Apparently, Maeg found a book written in English and he reads it at night. Although I sent her an entire box of books printed in English, they have not arrived in Java yet. She laughed when I told her the post office explained to me that the books would arrive in Java in 6 to 9 days. She thinks 6 to 9 months is more like it.

Krus is an accomplished cello player and works as a musician. He does not play in the gamelan, though. I'm not sure what type of music he plays. He has the most melodious laugh. It truly sounds like music. I am sure to Megan's ears, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails