Monday, June 15, 2009

Leaping before Looking

Oops. Here I go again. I may be just a wee bit in over my head. Maybe not. We'll see. While signing up my school for Bookshare, (I am on this committee at school with a very official sounding name, "Textbook Adoption Policy Committee") I had this thought. Maybe I should volunteer to be a reader, or a proofreader, or maybe even a scanner! Yes, I thought, I can do this! I can proof and read, or scan and proof, or scan and read, or...well, you get the idea. By signing up my school, I can help students with print disabilities get their books in an alternate format, since there is such a backlog in our department. By volunteering, I can give back to this organization. Sounds simple, right?

Except for the part where it's not. I read the instructions on how to actually do the volunteering, you know, the scanning, the proofreading, the reading, the checking, the checking again, and OMG, I think I am definitely in over my head. So technical! So detailed! It's a good thing I LOVE to read. A lot. A whole lot. A ton. Almost more than breathing. Almost. At least I get to choose whether to scan or proof, and I also get to choose which books to scan or proof.

I'll keep you posted when I can tear myself away from the instructions. That's as far as I've gotten. Oh, and by the way, you don't get the instructions until AFTER you've signed up as a volunteer. Naturally. Should be fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails