Thursday, July 16, 2009

How to gain 800 square feet with three new best friends!




I now have three new best friends. In return for my constant relationship with them, I gain an additional 800 square feet of living space that I haven't had in a long time.

My new best friends will be with me day and night for the next week and a half, never leaving my side, never wandering away (well, one of them might), and always on my mind. They are, in no particular order, as follows: Boxes, Newspaper, and Tape (tape is the wandering type, disappearing at the most inconvenient times, and is very good at playing hide-and-seek, as well as peek-a-boo).

Other newly acquired acquaintances are Sharpie, Paper Cut (or rather cardboard box cut), Bubble Wrap (so incredibly fun to stomp on), Tissue Paper (the huge, colorful assortment I have from Costco that I bought about a year ago and have only used maybe 10 sheets of), and, of course, let's not forget the twins, Save/Toss and Memory Lane.

Fortunately, I just moved three years ago, from So Cal to Nor Cal, and that was the monumental move of all time. Over 20 years of stuff to sort through, give away, sell, toss, or pack, which included all the child-rearing gear.

So, this should be a piece of cake, right? Forget that I go back to work next week (granted, it's just for a few days, and not even full days at that), and I am taking a Moodle class that is majorly time-intensive (isn't that always the way with these online classes?). I am also shopping for a washer and dryer, as well as trying to find additional dining room chairs, since I will have a formal dining room and and a separate kitchen eating nook, in addition to a bed, mattress, box springs, and a dresser for the extra bedroom that will soon by occupied by Meg and Krus, and ALL my adult children are moving within the same couple of weeks that I am!

Should be absolutely fabulous.

5 comments:

  1. Mom, I told you that you guys can have our dresser! It's almost brand new, we just don't like the way it will look with our other furniture. You guys are welcome to it for the low, low price of a couple cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A couple of cocktails, eh? That's too good to pass up! We'll see, once you move it up here. Found your books, too. In Little Johnny's closet. Decided to use air mattresses at the new house until I figure out (and have the money for) what bed, what mattress, etc. We definitely need to take a field trip to Ikea and Goodwill. There's a big Goodwill really close to our new house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an afternoon of furniture shopping and Starbucks is in order. Don't forget the wealth that is Craigslist, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right! I will look into that. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely do not need all that furniture for krus and me! we sleep on very very hard surfaces and are quite comfortable that way. I haven't slept on a traditional mattress for a long time and with the improvements to my back, i'm not sure that I need to start!

    Krus is so excited to help with everything, he will come in really handy during the move if we get there in time, and also with unpacking, etc. The house is totally beautiful!

    I am a master at finding used furniture and stuff, it is so so much cheaper, has more character, is usually sturdier and better for the environment too! So don't think too much about the furniture just yet. Just worry about packing!

    Love from all three of us!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails