Sunday, April 26, 2009

Expecting the unexpected

I love spur of the moment days. Yesterday was one of those days.

First, I spent some time at work, trying to catch up on the mountain of paperwork that is my life. Then, I spent a few hours attending a workshop on the HSI project. Unfortunately, I then spent way too much time taking my sick little Mini to the mechanic in Pleasanton. That's when the fun started.

Thinking we were going to make it to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in plenty of time (they close at 6:00), we arrived at 5:00 and realized there was no way we would be able to do it justice in just one hour. Of course, we had worked up a powerful thirst just getting there, so we wandered over to the pier and found a place that was offering margaritas for just $3.00 each. THREE DOLLARS? Really? Really. But just until 6:00 p.m. (Happy Hour on the weekend, an unheard of phenomenon). So, we plopped ourselves down at the bar with our out of town guest and proceeded to have MANY margaritas (they were really, really itty bitty; hence the $3.00 price tag. When will I ever learn that you really do get what you pay for?).

After the many, many margaritas, consumed at record breaking speed to get the fabulous Happy Hour deal, we then sloshed over to look at the boats and were approached by a middle aged man looking to take a few friends for a quick sail. Well, we were his friends, and son of a gun, if we didn't pile into his sailboat and go for a beautiful, albeit slightly rocky sail out about a mile and then back. Wonderful. A very short jaunt complete with an ocean breeze,an ever so slight spray of ocean water on my face, a sea creature of some sort (I think it was a seal), and back we were on the pier, sober, happy, and very hungry.

We proceeded back to the restaurant where we had polished off all those margaritas, and decided it was just the place for dinner. I had a warm, tasty cup of clam chowder, and a lovely salad. John had salmon and our guest had halibut. All quite tasty, and a perfect ending to an absolutely perfect day. (Well, almost, except for the sick Mini part.)

Grace in Small Things: 30/365

1. Friends
2. The ocean, at all times, anytime
3. Sailing
4. No matter how many I drink, I still love margaritas (although, I must say, I almost never find a margarita I like as well as those I make myself!)
5. All the theories of evolution discussed over so many margaritas and dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails