Thursday, March 24, 2011

What we catch

A student popped into my office yesterday who had all sorts of reasons why he was not performing at optimum level in his science class. In his lengthy list of excuses, he reported that he caught a DV (domestic violence). I explained that one does not catch a crime like a cold or the flu; one commits a crime. The student agreed with me that he was responsible for his own actions.

In the very next breath and sentence, the student went on to tell me that not only had he caught a DV, but his father had also caught a DV, as well as numerous other members of his family. Although this student admitted he was determined not to repeat the actions of his father and relatives, he found himself doing exactly that.

And, you know, he's right, in a perverse, twisted way. DV is contagious. I dutifully washed my hands after I gave him a great big hug and sent him on his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails