Saturday, April 9, 2011

Click, click, click! go the keyboards

Moving right along with the "Professor Mom" series, the week ended with a workshop on Procrastination and Time Management. It was fairly well attended by young and old alike, and I was even asked how to get a messy teenager out of bed to clean her room on her only day off. Hummm. I wasn't exactly counting on parenting issues to be brought up, but, oh well, off we went on a quick sidebar.

The most distracting portion of the workshop was that several students were typing on keyboards during my presentation. The workshops are all held in the Library/Technology Center, in one of the "smart" classrooms, and there is a computer at each seat. There is nowhere else to sit, so I assumed (oh, so erroneously) that the students would sit there and not actually use the computers. Normally, one would only hold classes in such a room when the students were supposed to be using the computers, but there I was, in what we refer to as a "computer lab", completely distracted by students furiously typing away while I was speaking, and showing, I might add, my highly entertaining audio/visual aids, I mean multimedia/Vimeo video.

I tried to ignore the click, click, click of the keyboards until I could stand it no more. At one point, as I was talking about all the things we do to avoid getting to the task at hand that we are procrastinating about, I cleverly segued into a remark that this was, in fact, a workshop on PROCRASTINATION AND TIME MANAGEMENT, and NOT a typing class.

Excusez-moi. Pardonnez-moi. My bad. I was sweetly informed by a student attending the high school plus college academy that resides on our campus that they were "journaling" as they listened to my presentation, and this a was "required" part of their attendance in this workshop.

Then, just as sweetly, a student in the back piped up "They aren't all journaling. You got a couple a gamers back here".

The only time I did NOT hear the click, click, click of the "journalizers" was when I played this video on procrastination:

Procrastination from ism studios on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails