Friday, February 19, 2010

Confessions of a juror, part one

The trial is on, although I must say, the wheels of justice may be turning, but in a decidedly slow fashion. We completed a whopping 3 hours of testimony this entire week, thanks to a holiday on Monday, a defense attorney getting snowed in back east somewhere and arriving half a day late to court, a furlough day for the state workers, and a serious illness in one of the defense attorney's family; serious enough to take the rest of the short week off to deal with that crisis.

While I could be pondering the bombshell that one of the witnesses delivered earlier this week, I am busy figuring out how I am going to patch the enormous hole in my heart when little Sohna leaves on March 2nd. Yep. Maeg, Krus, and Sohna are moving to Vashon Island, WA, flying out on March 2nd. I can't even accompany them to the airport, because my civic duty to appear on time that day doesn't take into account the real life that happens outside the courtroom.

It's probably better that way. I'm not so terribly fond of so longs and goodbyes. I am really hopeful that somewhere in that little soul of hers, she knows just how loved and treasured she truly is, and how utterly and completely perfect she is, just the way she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails